Search: OrbitPayload Bay Article ResultsPayload Bay Miscellaneous ResultsPayload Bay 'Today In History' Results
Payload Bay Calendar Results
- John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth on February 20, 1962.
- Apollo 8 became the first manned spacecraft to orbit the moon on December 21, 1968.
- Skylab I, the first U.S. orbiting laboratory, was launched on May 14, 1973.
Payload Bay Picture ResultsInternet Search Engines
- Sputnik 1 Becomes First Artificial Satellite (October 4, 1957)
On October 4, 1957, the Soviet Union successfully placed the world's first artificial satellite into orbit around Earth.
- First US Satellite in Orbit (January 31, 1958)
Explorer 1 became America's first satellite on January 31, 1958.
- Yuri Gagarin Orbits Earth (April 12, 1961)
Yuri Gagarin became the first human to orbit Earth on April 12, 1961.
- First U.S. Manned Suborbital Space Flight (May 5, 1961)
Mercury-Redstone 3 was launched with Alan B. Shepard, Jr. aboard on May 5, 1961.
- Mercury-Redstone 4 Launched (July 21, 1961)
Gus Grissom piloted the second U.S. manned suborbital spaceflight which was launched on July 21, 1961;