Search: AUPayload Bay Article ResultsPayload Bay Miscellaneous ResultsPayload Bay 'Today In History' Results
Payload Bay Calendar Results
- Robert H. Goddard launched the first successful liquid-propellant rocket on March 16, 1926.
- The Model Missiles, Inc. Aerobee-Hi Model Rocket Kit (001-A) was first produced for sale to the public on April 15, 1958. The kit included an Aerobee-Hi model rocket, a 36" long, 1/8" diameter launch rod, a blast deflector and six "Type A" Rock-A-Chute model rocket motors.
- Gordo, a squirrel monkey, became the first monkey launched into space on December 13, 1958.
- Able and Baker, a pair of monkeys, were launched atop a Jupiter on May 28, 1959.
- Ham, a chimpanzee, was launched aboard a Mercury capsule on January 31, 1961.
- The U.S. launched the first American astronaut, Alan Shepard Jr., into space on May 5, 1961.
- Enos, a chimpanzee, was launched aboard a Mercury spacecraft on November 29, 1961.
- Three U.S. astronauts died when a fire erupted inside the Apollo I command module during a ground test at the Kennedy Space Center on January 27, 1967.
- Zond 5 was launched by the Soviets on September 14, 1968.
- Skylab I, the first U.S. orbiting laboratory, was launched on May 14, 1973.
- The space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after launch on January 28, 1986.
- Stardust was launched on February 7, 1999.
- Discovery of a "white powdery substance" on packages from China caused a scare at the Estes plant on August 21, 2007.
Payload Bay Picture ResultsPayload Bay Videos ResultsPayload Bay Parts Finder ResultsInternet Search Engines
- First Successful Liquid-Propellant Rocket (March 16, 1926)
On March 16, 1926, Robert H. Goddard launched the first successful liquid-propellant rocket.
- Estes's "Mabel" Produces Its First Motor (January 16, 1959)
Vern Estes's "Mabel," the first automated model rocket motor making machine, produced it's first production motor on January 16, 1959. During the first production run, the machine produced 500 motors to which were sold to Model Missiles, Inc. for seven cents each.
- First U.S. Manned Suborbital Space Flight (May 5, 1961)
Mercury-Redstone 3 was launched with Alan B. Shepard, Jr. aboard on May 5, 1961.
- Mercury-Redstone 4 Launched (July 21, 1961)
Gus Grissom piloted the second U.S. manned suborbital spaceflight which was launched on July 21, 1961;
- Gemni 4 Launched (June 3, 1965)
Gemini 4 was launched on June 3, 1965.
- Apollo 1 Fire (January 27, 1967)
A launch-pad fire killed the crew of Apollo 1 on January 27, 1967.
- Zond 5 Launched (September 14, 1968)
Zond 5 was launched by the Soviets on September 14, 1968.
- Apollo 10 Launched (May 18, 1969)
Apollo 10, a "dress rehearsal" for the Apollo 11 moon landing, was launched on May 18, 1969.
- Pioneer 10 is Launched (March 3, 1972)
Pioneer 10 was launched on March 3, 1972. In June of 1983 it became the first spacecraft to venture beyond the planets.
- Skylab I Launched (May 14, 1973)
- Viking 1 is Launched (August 20, 1975)
Viking 1 began its 10-month journey to Mars on August 20, 1975.
- First Untethered Spacewalk (February 7, 1984)
The first untethered spacewalk was made by astronaut Bruce McCandless from the space shuttle Challenger during mission STS-41B.
- John Glenn's Space Shuttle Launch (October 29, 1998)